Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Listen — Bruce Mau

Bruce Mau, a Canadian designer, provides a 43 step program, the Incomplete Manifesto for Growth, intended for  designers and creative types to help them think about their design process. His design firm, Bruce Mau Design, is known for its high standards for design, its process, and its purpose:

We believe in the power of design to affect change and are committed to producing nothing less than world-class design. Our work is recognized for its depth of thought, clarity of purpose, boldness of vision and impact. 

At the end of the day, we all want our designs to mean something. Design isn't always about creating beautiful things. His ideology suggests it should help make the world a better place.

I related to his article for multiple reasons. Ever since I decided to return to school for design, my main focus and energy has been on allowing myself to grow as a person and a designer. There are opportunities all around us to learn something new, improve upon aspects of our lives, and find new ways to push ourselves. We were asked to choose a mantra from Mau's Manifesto, in which we try to accomplish in our lives for the week. 

My choice seemed obvious.
  1. Listen carefully.
    Every collaborator who enters our orbit brings with him or her a world more strange and complex than any we could ever hope to imagine. By listening to the details and the subtlety of their needs, desires, or ambitions, we fold their world onto our own. Neither party will ever be the same.

  2. I've been having a difficult time with listening lately. It requires a lot of focus, for me, and my life has me pretty preoccupied these days. With school and work, I barely have time to do the things that keep me sane. The times I do have with others, it seems like my mind is only where I feel like I need to be other than there: my studio. It's important to realize that not everything in the world revolves around me. That it's ok to take a break. That sometimes, by listening, you can actually be improving yourself. Who knows where inspiration can arise? Perhaps it's the next conversation I have.

I could have chosen a few mantras to live by from his Manifesto. It's important to take change one step at a time. Maybe I'll choose a new one next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment