Thursday, February 28, 2013

Refined 1:3 Chair Prototype on Duality

I discovered that if I separated each segment 1" apart as opposed to 0.5" apart, that the overall model looked cleaner and still remained structurally sound. Since my chair requires a lot of material, I decided to continue the prototype using Bristol board so that I could get my measurements to scale. That way, all the segments will be easy to measure for my final model that will be 3x the size of my prototype.

My chair is kickball and boyfriend inspired. Most of my initial sketches and drawings incorporated a sphere into the design with the hope of having a design that encouraged a fun, playful way to interact with the chair, yet still be extremely supportive. With this design, the user is able to sit "within" the ball.

To get an idea of scale, the prototype's largest sphere is 12" in diameter, the smallest being 9". The sit-able portion of the chair is 6" long, 6" wide, and 4" tall at the center that rises to 4.5" to the end.

1:3 Refined Model


Side View



Front View

Back View
This model is one third the size of the final chair, meaning the largest sphere will be 3 feet in diameter, having a 18"x18"x12-13.5" sit-able portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment