Sunday, February 10, 2013

Seating in Context

Using a 4x4' piece of cardboard, create a structurally sound chair that is capable of supporting one person. Making cuts, folds, and tabs are allowed, but no material may be removed. The final chair should be at least 6" off the ground and should be able to unfold into one continuous piece of cardboard.

These parameters seem impossible. Perhaps it's due to my zero experience with 3D design, but I'm predicting I'm going to be doing a lot of research.
I found the link posted on blackboard to be helpful when it came to understand the strength of different shapes. Knowing that the triangle is the strongest geometric shape to withhold a large amount of force gives me a good idea of how I would like to approach my design. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/index.html

However, after doing a small amount of prototyping, I think my chair design would be able to support my cat. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Does that mean your cat --is it Hank?--will be in class tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Hank does enjoy playing in boxes, but he doesn't venture outside my house very often. :)

      Delete