Monday, February 11, 2013

Reluctant Dumpster Diving

Turns out if you have a life outside of school, it's hard to track down cardboard.
Most of my designing is done in the evening due to the amount of time I spend at my two jobs. My hope was to work on my chair after Hallmark Symposium, but that idea was quickly squashed when I realized the Commons Shop closes at 5pm and I hadn't finished my shift until 5:30pm.

I freaked out for a good minute.

Then I called U-Haul.
I called Home Depot.
I tried Michaels and Walmart.
I called Ace Hardware.
I looked up Best Buy and gave them a call.
Lastly, I called Target.
Much to my dismay, no one had anything close to the size of a 4x4' box.

I freaked out for another good minute and had a beer.

My physical search for cardboard commenced. Turns out most businesses will dump their cardboard in the alleys at the end of the day. I found cardboard in the dumpsters behind the ReStore and Sunflower Outdoor and Bike Shop.
The largest, continuous piece I could find was 3x3'

I realized that the only aspect of this assignment I have control over is my design.
Perhaps it won't be to scale. Perhaps my cat will truly be the only living thing able to sit on my chair, but I'll show up with my design, my process, and an example of the way I've attempted to solve this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment